We’ve partnered with The Social Sipper once again. This time around, to get your tiki on with the Painkiller Cocktail! It’s tropical and super tasty for the warmer days ahead. Mixed up with dark rum, fresh orange juice, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut for a creamsicle-tasting cocktail.
Recipe and ideas by @thesocialsipper.
What’s a Painkiller Cocktail?
The Painkiller Cocktail dates back to the 1970’s, specifically in the British Virgin Islands where the cocktail was first created. It’s very similar to a Piña Colada, so if you enjoy tropical-tasting libations, you will love Carolyn’s take on the Painkiller Cocktail.
Although this mixed drink may give you the false sense that it helps with hangovers, it’s categorized as a “hair of the dog” because it includes really tasty, easy-to-sip on flavors and ingredients, making you feel better in the short-term. Always enjoy responsibly!
How to Elevate Your Tiki Cocktail with BOMSHBEE?
Says Carolyn, “Using unique glassware is such a simple way to take your cocktails to the next level. And the Painkiller Cocktail needed a glass that was just as much of a ‘wow factor’ as the recipe.” For this tasty recipe, Carolyn used the Chandelier Eidos from BOMSHBEE to complete this cocktail.
The Recipe: The Pain Killer Cocktail
The Glass: BOMSHBEE’s Chandelier Eidos
- 2 OZ Dark Rum: For this recipe, Carolyn used Plantation Rum but she also recommend using dark rums such as Cruzan Aged Rum or Flor de Caña 12 Year Old Rum. These are easy to mix with and nice to sip on too. Click here for other recommendations on dark rum!
- 3 OZ Pineapple Juice: Make sure to use 100% pineapple juice for a perfectly sweetened taste. Carolyn used Dole Pineapple Juice, but you can feel free to juice your own pineapple.
- 1 OZ Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice: Fresh squeezed orange juice is the key to making this tropical, tasting-cocktail. Of course, you can always substitute it for store-bought OJ, but Carolyn recommend using a juicer like this one or this one and some fresh oranges for the freshest taste.
- 1 OZ Cream of Coconut: Create the creaminess in this cocktail with Cream of Coconut. Make sure to shake this up really before using.
- Fresh Ground Nutmeg: A pinch of fresh ground nutmeg really balances and brings out the creamy and tropical flavors in this drink.
- Pineapple and Orange Slices, for Garnish: if you’re feeling fancy, you can garnish this cocktail with a pineapple wedge and an orange slice for a complete tiki-inspired look.
- Add dark rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, cream of coconut and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake until the cocktail mixture is chilled and frothy.
- Fill your BOMSHBEE cocktail glass with crushed ice. Strain cocktail mixture into glass. Sprinkle with fresh ground nutmeg, If desired, garnish with an orange slice, pineapple slice and pineapple fronds.
Photos and Recipe Credit: The Social Sipper